4.03.2007

Isle of Skye and Beyond!


After a great couple of days in Glengarry Castle, Sissy and I packed up and made our way to the Isle of Skye. It is the largest of the Scottish Isles, and its name means “Cloud Island.” We caught it one the one day of the year where there is sun. After seeing the beautiful scenery, we exited the island via ferry. It took us back to mainland and we continued on to Fort William. We stayed in a quaint B&B for the night and explored the pedestrian High Street. Dinner was at the famous Grog and Gruel. We enjoyed traditional Scottish Cask Ales and our first taste of Haggis.

Haggis is best enjoyed by not knowing it contents, similar to hotdogs (not in taste, rather the arduous meat inclusion/selection process). As I understand it, haggis (the national dish) is a ground mixture of sheep heart, lung, and liver ( maybe brain? Maybe spleen?). This ground purée is mixed with oatmeal and onion, salted and spiced, then packed in a sheep stomach. Cooked to perfection, it is best served with “neeps and tatties” (turnips and potatoes). Like I said, ignorance is bliss, and so is haggis. Black pudding, however, I have not yet warmed up to (stay tuned for a discussion on this interesting treat).

4 comments:

Brian said...

Nice Marty. Sucks you have to push that car around.

Martois said...

Yeah--I would have left it, but we had all of our bags in there...

SC MUM said...

I hope you will get this..I have had a hard time establishing a google account...love the blogs for both of you...it is nice to see all the scenery and I love the videos even though I have to go over to Sandi every time I want to see them..dad can't get them on his computer either. Love ya SC Mum

Arpod said...

Mmmmm mystery meat... I've always wanted to try Haggis.